Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Food this week--updated!

I've been kind of following the 2010 Eat From Your Pantry Challenge. People are only eating what's in their pantry in order to cut down on their food bill this month. But we always eat from our pantry (storage room). My goal isn't to empty the pantry, but to keep it fully stocked. And it needs it because I didn't do my monthly restocking in November or December. So instead, I have been trying to use up leftovers and stuff in the freezer.

Monday--I made mashed potatoes and hamburger gravy using leftover potatoes and fettuccini sauce. This was okay. But why does using up leftovers always make more leftovers?
Tuesday--Made a really yummy taco-type stew to use up 3 cups cooked rice. Also 2 cans tomato soup, 1 can corn, 1 can black beans, 2 c. chicken, 3 cubes beef bouillion, 1 quart water, 3 T. taco seasoning, dash cayenne, 1/4 c. dried onions, 1/4 c. chopped green peppers. This made tons more leftovers, but it was thick enough to freeze and use as taco filling.
To use up 1/3 bag chocolate chips and 1/3 can cocktail peanuts I made Mom's peanut peanut butter choc. chip cookies. This did not fit in well with the diet I started today. See http://www.taylorseatinghealthy.blogspot.com/.
Wednesday--chow mein noodle casserole from my freezer group
Thursday--freezer mashed potatoes, steaks from the freezer, homemade wheat bread
Friday--hamburgers, homemade. I promised Maren we could have something she likes
Saturday--taquitoes with corn tortillas and chicken filling from the freezer
Sunday--porcupine meatballs and baked potatoes, mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment