Sunday, March 7, 2010

Three month food storage

Today I worked on my three month storage--I was inspired by my friend Colene Wall and http://providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,1706-1,00.html. Though I have lots of storage, to be sure I had everything I would need for three months, I built a month menu of items my family likes, wrote down all the ingredients necessary that I could store in my freezer or on shelves and timesed (?) that by 3. I took note of the things I already had stored and the things I need to work on. I have a friend who just did a week's menu and planned for 3 months worth of that food. Or you could do a two week menu.

The only things for these recipes besides fresh fruit and veggies that I might have trouble storing are sour cream, milk, cheese, & some eggs. I need a cow and a chicken! It was interesting to figure that I will need 4 25 lb bags of flour to bake the bread, rolls, pancakes, muffins, and waffles. This is my menu, you should see the ingredients list! Eeek!
Sundays: chicken and rice
roast and potatoes* will store potato pearls, but use fresh when possible
porcupine meatballs
chicken Parmesan and spaghetti
meatloaf and augratin potatoes
Weekday dinners:
chili
spaghetti
Hawaiian haystacks
shepherd pie
hot dogs and fries
hamburgers and fries
taco stew
beef tacos in tortillas
sloppy joes
chicken enchiladas
chicken chili
stroganoff and noodles
hamburger soup
chicken noodle soup
tater tot or chow mein noodle casserole
homemade mac n cheese
chicken tacos on tortillas
chicken pot pie
sweet and sour or orange chicken, stir fry vegs, rice
Italian chicken & fettuccini noodles
chicken and stuffing
pepperoni and ham and pineapple pizza
pigs in a blanket
grilled tunafish
lucky chicken (chicken marinated in whatever is around)and rice
Salads:
mandarin orange salad once a month
pistachio salad once a month
canned fruit salad twice a month
jello with fruit cocktail twice a month
Sides:
45 cans corn and beans
45 quarts peaches and whatever other fruit I can store
12 small bags peas
Lunches:
sandwiches (tuna, peanut butter, bologna, turkey)
leftovers
Breakfasts: (once a week)
pancakes
muffins
oatmeal
cream of wheat
box cereal
waffles
breakfast casserole
Bread:
6 loaves a week
rolls once a week
Desserts:
probably will figure out a few cookies & brownies or cake (just in case)

2 comments:

  1. THANKS for posting this! Really appreciate it. Wouldn't you just store powdered milk for the milk? The lady at everydayfoodstorage.net supposedly has an drinkable powdered milk recipe. Nate's family freezes pre-shredded cheese and it does really well. Do people in Utah get the powdered eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would just store powdered milk. I have also frozen shredded cheese and that works well if you let it thaw at room temperature (not in the microwave). I have heard you can freeze eggs. Just crack them individually into muffin tins. Freeze them and then pop them out and put them in a ziploc bag to store in the freezer. I do have powdered eggs, which work well in baking.

    ReplyDelete