Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ode to Pancakes

I had to take one child to concert rehearsal at 6:15 this morning, and another at 7:00. It was nice of them to do it on the same day.

So I am making pancakes for the remainder, even though I usually only cook breakfast on the weekend. I LOOVE pancakes, and I love trying different recipes. So here are some of my favorite recipes. Even though I still like Krusteaz pancakes, for some reason, I like to make homemade. And we usually have pancakes with cheese. Probably because mom did. But it adds some protein for those days when you don't have bacon or sausage. Let me first say--I only like homemade maple syrup.

2 cups sugar
1 cup water
1 capful mapleine
boil together

But I love other flavors of syrup, too. Once I went to IHOP and tried ALL of the flavors and loved them.

Here is my regular mix:
Buttermilk-type Pancakes
2 1/2 c. flour
2 t. sugar
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 t. baking soda
I triple or sextuple this and store it in a can. To each 2 1/2 c. of mix, add:
2 eggs
2 1/2 c. milk
2 1/2 T. vinegar
4 t. oil.
I figured it out once, and these really are much cheaper than Krusteaz.

This is from my mom:
Whole Wheat Blender Pancakes
Put 1 c. milk and 1 c. uncooked whole wheat in the blender and blend on high 3-4 minutes until smooth. Add:
2 eggs
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 T. oil
2 T. honey or sugar.

Even Pancake-covered French Toast:
1 c. pancake mix
4 eggs
1/2 c. milk
Mix all together and dip bread into the mixture.

Oatmeal Pancakes
2 c. milk
2 c. oats
1/2 c. flour
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
5 small eggs
Heat milk until hot, then add oatmeal. Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Separate eggs, adding yolks to oatmeal. Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the oatmeal mixture. Bake on medium hot griddle-don't hurry them. These are worth the work!

Bisquik Melt-in-your-mouth Pancakes They really do!
2 c. Bisquik
2 eggs
1 T. sugar
1 t. vanilla or 2 T. lemon juice
2 t. baking powder
1 c. milk
Yumm.
And here is a waffle recipe my kids love, because they are getting tired of pancakes. (:
Crispy Waffles
1 egg
1 1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
1 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. sugar
1/4 t. salt
2 T. cornmeal
Makes 4 waffles. Blend in a blender until moistened but not over-blended. Cook in a waffle-maker.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, I love those melt in your mouth ones. I will buy bisquick on my next trip to the grocery store! Stephanie

    ReplyDelete