Sunday, January 23, 2011

Caring for each other as Christ cares for us

Taken from a post at Segullah

http://segullah.org/house-a-home/so-what-else-do-you-do/

A wise friend of the author shared her belief that, “the work of feeding, clothing, and nurturing one another is every bit as spiritual as it is physical. She feels strongly that when ordinary, life-sustaining tasks are done together as a family, they bind family members to one another in small but critical ways. I was startled to realize that she saw as “sacred” the tasks that I always thought were obstacles to sacredness. And for evidence, she turned to the scriptures. The parable of the sheep and the goats found in Matthew 25 clearly shows that Christ will judge us according to our willingness to feed and clothe “the least of these my brethren” (verse 40). Does this include members of our own families? In fact, Christ used imagery of feeding and washing and cleaning throughout His parables and object lessons. “He shall feed his flock like a shepherd” (Isa. 40:11). He will wash “away the filth of the daughters of Zion” (2 Ne. 14:4) and “sweep away the bad out of [His] vineyard” (Jacob 5:66). He even likens Himself to a hen who “gathereth her chickens under her wings” (Matt. 23:37).
Even more striking to me, Christ not only spoke of these things, He personally did them. He fed multitudes with limited tangible resources in a miraculous example of His attention to our physical as well as spiritual hunger. He washed the feet of His disciples to illustrate the humble service required of a Master and to reveal what He was willing to do that we might be entirely clean. In the book of Moses, He states that He, Himself, made the coats of skins to clothe Adam and Eve. When seen in this new light, my perception of tasks like peeling potatoes and scrubbing floors began to turn upside down and inside out. It was becoming obvious to me that when we care for the physical as well as the spiritual needs of our families, we are patterning our lives after the Savior.” (end quoted section)

The very purpose of our lives is to become like the Savior. Keeping 2 small children alive, helping a teenager with a school report, making a bed, tying a shoe, washing a dish with a 10-year-old, isn’t a “just”. The same friend of mine who sent the article said something several months ago I’ve thought of again and again when I feel discouraged and wonder what I’m doing & if I’m spending my time well. She said, “I’m striving for eternal salvation for me and my family every day. I think that’s enough.”

No comments:

Post a Comment