Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Triple Berry Pie

Can I just say that I made a TRIPLE BERRY PIE that was DIVINE. No, I didn't take a picture of all its beautifulness. But boy was it so good. Since only a couple people in my family like berry pie, I think I ate most of it. Here's the recipe:

Take about a third or half (enough to fill your pie plate)of a bag of the triple berry frozen mix from Costco (raspberries, blueberries, and marionberries) and thaw it slightly in a bowl. Add 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup flour. Stir and let sit while you make the crust.

Crust. Cut together 2 cups flour, 1 cup shortening, and 3/4 t. salt. Add 1/3 cup water and mix together with a fork. Add a bit more water if necessary to make it all stick together, but it shouldn't be sticky.

Divide the dough in half and make each into a round. Roll each round out between two pieces of wax paper until the dough is big enough to fit in your pie pan. Remove and replace the wax paper a couple times to allow it to straighten out as you roll. When the dough is big enough, take off the top piece of wax paper and flip the dough into the pie plate. Remove the other piece of wax paper. Fit the dough into the bottom of the pie plate. Using wax paper is the only way I have ever been able to make and roll out really good crusts without completely starting over.

Put the berry filling in the crust. Dot with 3 T. margarine. Cover with the top piece of dough. Flute the edges. (In my case, I just mash the top edge into the bottom edge and then make it pretty with thumb prints evenly spaced around the edge.) I am such a pie professional. Then cut a slit or two in the top with a sharp knife. Brush the crust with beaten egg. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.

1 comment: