Thursday, September 1, 2011

Fruit Fly Trap

Yesterday I canned 7 jars of peaches. SEVEN. That is all the peaches there were. Well, I have another tree that might have 7 more jars on it. Frankly, I am relieved that I didn't have to do 56 or 72 quarts. Just didn't feel like it. Got enough in the basement. Got things on my mind. And I sent my oldest daughter back to college by herself yesterday, so I didn't really have time for more.

By the way, I canned them on my flat top stove. I used my pressure canner (without the pressure) because it has a flat bottom instead of a ridged bottom like regular water bath canners. It worked fine since I have an extra large burner, but if I get a batch of 56 or 72 quarts of something-or-other to can, I will want to use my big camp stove outside on the deck so I can run two canners and get things boiling faster to boot.

Fruit Fly Trap

Put 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (the apple is what attracts the flies) into a small mug. Add a tablespoon of dishsoap (this makes them stick and drown). Add a bit of water and stir. Set your mug out and voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment