Friday, April 20, 2012

The Hardest (I Hope) and Best Thing I'll Ever Do

Well, we did it. I took my oldest son and we spent a thousand dollars on suits, shoes, shirts, jacket, etc. (Can I just say here, he is SO handsome in a suit!) He willingly went along with me to three different stores TWICE in two days, because he knew it had to be done, but I could tell it wasn't his favorite thing. Shopping? No, that wasn't the hard thing I'm talking about.

A fabulous post I read this morning describes how I feel about sending my son on a mission. If I think about sending him, I cry. (I try NOT to think about it.) Well, today, I have red puffy eyes. But I wouldn't have it any other way. And, actually, I can think of a few things that many sweet mothers have experienced that would be much harder.

(The following is written by Nancy Murphy from http://themissionofmoms.blogspot.com/)

A few months after leaving our oldest son at the MTC, I wrote about it. Perhaps you can see a little of yourself in here and realize that having a child serve a mission, although it pulls at a mother's heartstrings, is such an incredible blessing!

I thought nothing could be harder than labor. Then, as a young mother, I actually believed that around-the-clock mothering was as hard as life could possibly get. I was always tired. I just knew that when my children got older and I had a little bit of my own life back, things would get easier. I made the mistake of thinking that teething and potty-training and sleepless nights (HUNDREDS of sleepless nights) were the toughest things I would ever face as a mother. How little I knew then about what was to come. Here I am, nineteen years into this mothering thing, and I think I have finally discovered the single most difficult moment of my life.

Last summer, we left our oldest son at the MTC. We went into "that" room (the one that our Stake President in Alpine calls "the room designed to tear your heart out") and when we went out one door, Chad went out the other. I felt somewhat like Mary must have felt as she took the Savior to the temple and gave Him to the Lord. And even though I knew it was for the Lord, it was still so hard. It was truly as if my heart would break. Looking into my son's sweet face, tears streaming down his cheeks, I recognized that look as the same on that he had as a nine-year old when he was afraid his Little League coach might call him in to pitch. Sheer terror. My first instinct was to grab him by the hand and take him home--I just didn't know if I had the strength, or the faith, to do this.

How did we get here so fast? Just yesterday he was born. Just yesterday he learned to ride a bike. Just yesterday he was baptized and we talked about the day--so very far away--that he would be a missionary.

After leaving the MTC that day, I went home, laid down on his bed, and cried. The next day, I was still crying. And the next. There was an emptiness I didn't expect and was not at all prepared to face. But life is always teaching me something and this experience is no exception. I have already learned so much. I find now that I pray with a constancy and intensity that I have never had in my prayers before...because I am praying for him. I have a deep, moving, graitutde for little moments of life that, before, might have gone unnoticed. I am more willing to slow down a bit...go for a walk or color a picutre with one of my children...because I know that, soon enough, these days, too, will be gone and I will be mourning their loss. I feel my faith growing and understand that I am truly being taught of the Lord daily through this experience. How ironic to me that we are here in Boston, recieving the sons of so many mothers who are at home--laying down on their son's beds--crying. It has made me want to be better at loving the missionaries in our care. Not necessarily because they need me...but because I need them.

When I returned to Boston last summer after the MTC experience, I found a letter from a friend in my mailbox that touched me deeply because it spoke to my very soul. On the front of the card it said, "I'll give you, for a little while, a child of mine, He said." Inside was this handwritten message:

"In 1980, when our firstborn flew from the protection of my heart and hearth to serve his mission in Switzerland, I actually quoted the poem from which the front page lines were taken. It is a poem often used at funerals and when I admitted such, the congregation laughed. But a mother's soul recognizes the death of a season when she sees it. I know that you know that your precious nuclear family season has turned its corner, never to return again to that same sweet time when all of your tiny tousled heads were peacefully tucked in and sleeping under your safe and loving roof. The wonder is not why we cry. The wonder is that we manage to stop crying--and to face this new season with some kind of grace."

Her words gave me hope and understanding and made me feel forever bonded to missionary mothers everywhere. We all cry...but we would probably be crying harder if our children didn't go. I will try to remember that in the days ahead when I miss my son so much.

When I see a young mother now, I am always tempted to tell her what I've learned. That life is short and these moments with your little ones will pass much too quickly. The seasons of life come and go without our permission or approval. This next season is upon me and I am trying to enter it gracefully. But despite my best efforts...I just can't seem to help it. I still cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment